Online Tutoring Program
After school program
Time: 4:30 – 6:00PM
Day: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
For the students: One-on-One Tutorial (ideal ratio) Math and/or English Help in other subjects are also available upon request
- 45-minute tutoring for each subject per student. The student has the option to register in one or both subjects.
- Weekly goal setting routine: (started in school year 2019-20) 5 to 10 min tutor/tutee mentoring to develop study habits and life goals
- time allocated for the specific needs of the child
- 5 to 10 minute overview of the topic of lessons before one-on-one tutoring begins
- 5 to 10 minute mentoring to develop study habits and goals setting
- completion of class assignments
- project work
- studying for tests and quizzes
- review of daily lessons
- independent reading, math practice
For the tutors:
- Tutors are volunteer high school/college/university students, professionals, or retirees. NARRA gives volunteer certificate and/or community service hours.
- Screening includes Police Check for Vulnerable Sector, interview, credentials – proficiency in English and Math.
- Orientation on guidelines on dealing with children and parents.
- Available professional mentoring program for the tutors.
- Tutors who want to become mentors must undergo Leadership Training and/or Mentoring Training under the Mentoring Program. In this program, the volunteer tutors are trained to give their tutees direction on goal setting, building study habits and developing skills. One-on-one mentoring is also available.
For the parents:
- Parent involvement in the program is crucial for the success of the program.
- One-on-one parent-tutor/director meeting on a monthly basis to discuss the progress, struggle of the child and how the parents can help their child/children succeed in their studies.
- A periodic parenting seminar on how to help their children in their studies.